The World Porifera Database
The WPD, the World Database of all Recent sponges ever described, is part of the World Register of Marine Species (WoRMS), a global initiative to arrive at a register of all marine organisms.
The WPD is complementary to the Systema Porifera (editors Hooper & Van Soest, 2002),
the two volume comprehensive classification of all sponge taxa above the species level. It incorporates recent and future amendments of the sponge classification, including the recently proposed revision of Morrow & Cárdenas (2015).
Relationships between microbiomes and Ircinia species
Added on: 2021-12-02 09:53:06 by Boury-Esnault, NicoleKelly, J.B.; Carlson, D.E.; Low, J.S.; Rice, T.; Thacker, R.W. (2021). The Relationship Between Microbiomes and Selective Regimes in the Sponge Genus Ircinia. Frontiers in Microbiology. 12: 607289. ...
New shallow water species of Caribbean Ircinia
Added on: 2021-12-01 14:57:38 by de Voogd, Nicole J.Kelly, J.B.; Thacker, R.W. (2021) New shallow water species of Caribbean Ircinia Nardo, 1833 (Porifera: Irciniidae). Zootaxa 5072 (4): 301–323 ...
New Walteria from NW Pacific seamounts
Added on: 2021-11-30 17:21:30 by Dohrmann, MartinShen, C.; Cheng, H.; Zhang D.; Lu, B.; Wang, C. (2021). A new species of the glass sponge genus Walteria (Hexactinellida: Lyssacinosida: Euplectellidae) from northwestern Pacific seamounts, providing a biogenic microhabitat in the deep sea. Acta Oceanologica Sinica, 41 in press. ...
New Placospongia from Brazil
Added on: 2021-11-26 11:30:43 by van Soest, Rob W.M.Mácola, R.; Menegola, C. (2021) A new species of Placospongia Gray, 1867 (Porifera, Demospongiae, Placospongiidae) and new record of P. ruetzleri van Soest, 2017 from Northeast, Brazil. Zootaxa 5072 (1): 12-22. ...
Temporal and Spatial Variations of Geodia cydonium in Confined Environments
Added on: 2021-11-25 10:45:29 by Boury-Esnault, NicoleMercurio, M.; Pierri, C.; Cardone, F.; Corriero, G. (2021). Temporal
and Spatial Variations of Geodia cydonium (Jameson) (Porifera, Demospongiae) in the Mediterranean Confined Environments. Diversity, 13, 615. ...
[Add] [Older news... ]
The aim for the WPD is to be a catalogue of sponge species in a continuously updated, fully hierarchical system to promote stability of sponge names, to serve the community of users of sponge names, and to act as a tool for higher taxon revisions and regional monographs. A further aim is to be the world’s comprehensive database for sponge type specimens and other important vouchered specimens. Additional information we are making available are (overview) distributions of all species and unaccepted name combinations occurring in the literature.
In order to have adequate expert knowledge we have formed an editorial committee consisting of:
and the following specialist colleagues:
Editors are responsible for entries, decision on validity of names. Corrections and omissions may be addressed to the relevant editor or the general editor.
- Alvarez, Belinda: Porifera (Axinellida, Bubarida, Scopalinida, Suberitida)
- Boury-Esnault, Nicole: Porifera (Homoscleromorpha, Keratosa, Polymastiida, Verongimorpha, Mediterranean fauna)
- Carballo, José Luis: Porifera (East Pacific)
- Cárdenas, Paco: Porifera (Tetractinellida)
- Díaz, Maria-Cristina: Thematic editor: Porifera (Caribbean fauna)
- Dohrmann, Martin: Porifera (Hexactinellida)
- Downey, Rachel: Porifera (Antarctic)
- Hajdu, Eduardo: Porifera (Biemnida, Desmacellida, Poecilosclerida, South American fauna)
- Hooper, John N.A.: Porifera (Poecilosclerida, Australian fauna)
- Kelly, Michelle: Thematic editor: Porifera (New Zealand fauna)
- Klautau, Michelle: Porifera (Calcarea)
- Manconi, Renata: Porifera (Spongillida, freshwater sponges)
- Morrow, Christine: Thematic editor: Porifera (North Atlantic fauna)
- Pisera, Andrzej B.: Porifera (desma-bearing and coralline sponges)
- Ríos, Pilar: Porifera (Poecilosclerida & thematic editor for Iberian and Northwest African regions)
- Rützler, Klaus: Porifera (Spirophorina)
- Schönberg, Christine: Porifera (Clionaida, Siphonodictyon, Thoosidae)
- Vacelet, Jean: Porifera (Cladorhizidae, carnivorous sponges)
- van Soest, Rob W.M.: Porifera (Previous chief editor 2004/2021)
Currently (2021), there are 9,475 valid species (marine + non-marine) in the database (among almost 20,000 taxon names).
Acceptance is an editorial decision, but we acknowledge such decisions need to be re-examined frequently in the light of new information. If you disagree with senior synonymy decisions or genus assignments, please let us have your - argumented - corrected assignment. More info.
Who is who in sponge science
This global address list reflects information collated through annual surveys posted on mailing lists (PoriferaList, CoraList and Skolithos) and by contacting some people directly. The information was collected and made available by Christine Schönberg.
Sponge conference materials
This is a record of abstracts, proceedings and other materials from sponge meetings and symposia.
CitationUsage of data from the World Porifera Database in scientific publications should be acknowledged by citing as follows:
If the data from the World Porifera Database constitute a substantial proportion of the records used in analyses, the chief editor(s) of the database should be contacted. There may be additional data which may prove valuable to such analyses.
- de Voogd, N.J.; Alvarez, B.; Boury-Esnault, N.; Carballo, J.L.; Cárdenas, P.; Díaz, M.-C.; Dohrmann, M.; Downey, R.; Hajdu, E.; Hooper, J.N.A.; Kelly, M.; Klautau, M.; Manconi, R.; Morrow, C.C. Pisera, A.B.; Ríos, P.; Rützler, K.; Schönberg, C.; Vacelet, J.; van Soest, R.W.M. (2021). World Porifera Database. Accessed at http://www.marinespecies.org/porifera on 2021-12-04. doi:10.14284/359
Individual pages are individually authored and dated. These can be cited separately: the proper citation is provided at the bottom of each page.