The World Porifera Database
The WPD, the World Database of all Recent sponges ever described, is part of the World Register of Marine Species (WoRMS), a global initiative to arrive at a register of all marine organisms.
The WPD is complementary to the Systema Porifera (editors Hooper & Van Soest, 2002),
the two volume comprehensive classification of all sponge taxa above the species level. It incorporates recent and future amendments of the sponge classification, including the recently proposed revision of Morrow & Cárdenas (2015).
Revison of the neotropical freshwater genus Corvoheteromeyenia
Added on: 2016-06-20 19:04:44 by Boury-Esnault, NicoleCalheira, L.; Pinheiro, U. (2016) Corvoheteromeyenia Ezcurra de Drago, 1979 (Spongillidae, Porifera): Genus review with proposal of neotype of Corvoheteromeyenia heterosclera (Ezcurra de Drago, 1974). Zootaxa 4126 (3): 351–374 ...
New hexactinellids from the Drake Passage
Added on: 2016-06-17 14:06:16 by Dohrmann, MartinGoodwin, C.E., Berman, J., Janussen, D., Göcke, C., Hendry, K.R. 2016. Hexactinellida (Porifera) from the Drake Passage (Southern Ocean) with a description of three new species. Zootaxa 4126:207–220. ...
New Latrunculiids from North Pacific
Added on: 2016-06-08 18:49:19 by Boury-Esnault, NicoleKelly, M.; Sim-Smith, C; Stone, R.; Samaai, T.; Reiswig, H.; Austin, W. (2016). New taxa and arrangements within the family Latrunculiidae (Demospongiae, Poecilosclerida). Zootaxa, 4121 (1): 1-48 ...
New Dercitus from Sulawesi mangrove
Added on: 2016-05-31 17:50:36 by Boury-Esnault, NicoleCalcinai, B.; Bastari,A.; Makepedua, D.M.; Cerrano, C. (2016) Mangrove sponges from Bangka Island (North Sulawesi, Indonesia) with the description of a new species. Journal of the Marine Biological Association of the United Kingdom, On-line early-view page 1-6. ...
Revision of Polymastiidae with ornamented exotyles
Added on: 2016-05-26 17:55:26 by Boury-Esnault, NicolePlotkin, A.; Morrow, C.; Gerasimova,E; Rapp, H.T. 2016 Polymastiidae (Demospongiae: Hadromerida) with ornamented exotyles: a review of morphological affinities and description of a new genus and three new species. Journal of the Marine Biological Association of the United Kingdom, page 1 of 56. On-line early view ...
[Add] [Older news... ]
The aim for the WPD is to be a catalogue of sponge species in a continuously updated, fully hierarchical system to promote stability of sponge names, to serve the community of users of sponge names, and to act as a tool for higher taxon revisions and regional monographs. A further aim is to be the world’s comprehensive database for sponge type specimens and other important vouchered specimens. Additional information we are making available are (overview) distributions of all species and unaccepted name combinations occurring in the literature.
In order to have adequate expert knowledge we have formed an editorial committee consisting of:
and the following specialist colleagues:
Editors are responsible for entries, decision on validity of names. Corrections and omissions may be addressed to the relevant editor or the general editor.
- Alvarez, Belinda: Porifera (Axinellida, Bubarida, Scopalinida, Suberitida)
- Boury-Esnault, Nicole: Porifera (Homoscleromorpha, Keratosa, Polymastiida, Verongimorpha, Mediterranean fauna)
- Carballo, José Luis: Thematic editor: Porifera (East Pacific)
- Cárdenas, Paco: Porifera (Tetractinellida)
- de Voogd, Nicole: Porifera (Deputy general editor & Thematic editor for Indo-West Pacific fauna)
- Díaz, Maria-Cristina: Thematic editor: Porifera (Caribbean fauna)
- Dohrmann, Martin: Porifera (Hexactinellida)
- Hajdu, Eduardo: Porifera (Biemnida, Desmacellida, Poecilosclerida, South American fauna)
- Hooper, John: Porifera (Poecilosclerida, Australian fauna)
- Kelly, Michelle: Thematic editor: Porifera (New Zealand fauna)
- Klautau, Michelle: Porifera (Calcarea)
- Manconi, Renata: Porifera (Spongillida, freshwater sponges)
- Picton, Bernard: Thematic editor: Porifera (North Atlantic fauna)
- Pisera, Andrzej: Porifera (desma-bearing and coralline sponges)
- Rützler, Klaus: Porifera (Spirophorina)
- Schönberg, Christine: Porifera (Clionaida, Siphonodictyon, Thoosidae)
- Vacelet, Jean: Porifera (Cladorhizidae, carnivorous sponges)
Currently (2016), there are 8,737 valid species (marine + non-marine) in the database (among almost 20,000 taxon names).
Acceptance is an editorial decision, but we acknowledge such decisions need to be re-examined frequently in the light of new information. If you disagree with senior synonymy decisions or genus assignments, please let us have your - argumented - corrected assignment. More info.
Who is who in sponge science
This global address list reflects information collated through annual surveys posted on mailing lists (PoriferaList, CoraList and Skolithos) and by contacting some people directly. The information was collected and made available by Christine Schönberg.
By downloading or consulting data from this website, the visitor acknowledges that he/she agrees to the following:
If data are extracted from this website for secondary analysis resulting in a publication, the website should be cited as follows:
- Van Soest, R.W.M; Boury-Esnault, N.; Hooper, J.N.A.; Rützler, K.; de Voogd, N.J.; Alvarez de Glasby, B.; Hajdu, E.; Pisera, A.B.; Manconi, R.; Schoenberg, C.; Tabachnick, K.R., Klautau, M.; Picton, B.; Kelly, M.; Vacelet, J.; Dohrmann, M.; Díaz, M.-C.; Cárdenas, P.; Carballo, J. L. (2016). World Porifera database. Accessed at http://www.marinespecies.org/porifera on 2016-07-02
If any data constitutes a substantial proportion of the records used in secondary analyses (i.e. more than 25% of the data are derived from this source, or the data are essential to arrive at the conclusion of the analysis), the editors/managers of the database should be contacted. It may be useful to contact us directly in case there are additional data that may strengthen the analysis or there are features of the data that are important to consider but may not have been apparent from the metadata.