The World Porifera Database
The WPD, the World Database of all Recent sponges ever described, is part of the World Register of Marine Species (WoRMS), a global initiative to arrive at a register of all marine organisms.
The WPD is complementary to the Systema Porifera (editors Hooper & Van Soest, 2002),
the two volume comprehensive classification of all sponge taxa above the species level. It incorporates recent and future amendments of the sponge classification, including the recently proposed revision of Morrow & Cárdenas (2015).
Revision of the genus Fascaplysinopsis, the type species Fascaplysinopsis reticulata (Hentschel, 1912)
Added on: 2023-09-19 16:26:55 by de Voogd, Nicole J.Ekins, M.; Erpenbeck, D.; Debitus, C.; Petek, S.;
Mai T.; Wörheide, G.; Hooper, J.N.A. (2023) Revision of the genus Fascaplysinopsis, the type species Fascaplysinopsis reticulata (Hentschel, 1912) (Porifera, Dictyoceratida, Thorectidae) and descriptions of two new genera and seven new species. Zootaxa 5346 (3): 201–241 ...
Guide to the Marine and Freshwater Sponges of Peru
Added on: 2023-09-15 15:06:22 by Cárdenas, PacoWillenz, P.; Hajdu, E. (2022) Marine and Freshwater Sponges of Peru. Abc Taxa, 22, 347 pp.
Calcareous sponges (Porifera, Calcarea) from the Northeastern Brazilian coast
Added on: 2023-09-04 22:13:45 by Boury-Esnault, NicoleFonseca, E.S.M.; Cóndor-Luján, B.; Cavalcanti, F.F. (2023). Calcareous sponges (Porifera, Calcarea) from the Northeastern Brazilian coast: integrative taxonomy and support for the creation of a marine park. Marine Biodiversity, 53(67): 1-29 ...
New Mycale species from Canada
Added on: 2023-09-02 09:14:31 by Cárdenas, PacoDinn, C.; Ott, B.; Marmen, M.B.; Steeves, R.; Côté, G.; Hayes, V.; Nozères, C.; Everett, M.V.; Powell, A.; Chu J.W.F. (2023) Two large structure-forming sponges from opposite North American coasts: a taxonomic review of Arctic–Pacific Mycale (Mycale) loveni and the description of a new Arctic–Atlantic Mycale. Canadian Journal of Zoology, 101(9): 807-823. ...
New data on Brazilian Lissodendoryx, with description of Lissodendoryx (Waldoschmittia) almeidai sp. nov.
Added on: 2023-08-23 03:48:07 by Hajdu, EduardoBarros, T.; Cavalcanti, T.; Hajdu, E.; Pinheiro, U. 2023. Lissodendoryx Topsent, 1892 (Poecilosclerida: Coelosphaeridae) from Brazil: a new species and transfer of Strongylacidon oxychaetum Menegola, Santos, Moraes & Muricy, 2012 to the genus Lissodendoryx. Zootaxa 5336 (3): 401–412. ...
[Add] [Older news... ]
The aim for the WPD is to be a catalogue of sponge species in a continuously updated, fully hierarchical system to promote stability of sponge names, to serve the community of users of sponge names, and to act as a tool for higher taxon revisions and regional monographs. A further aim is to be the world’s comprehensive database for sponge type specimens and other important vouchered specimens. Additional information we are making available are (overview) distributions of all species and unaccepted name combinations occurring in the literature.
In order to have adequate expert knowledge we have formed an editorial committee consisting of:
and the following specialist colleagues:
Editors are responsible for entries, decision on validity of names. Corrections and omissions may be addressed to the relevant editor or the general editor.
- Alvarez, Belinda: Porifera (Axinellida, Bubarida, Scopalinida, Suberitida)
- Boury-Esnault, Nicole: Porifera (Homoscleromorpha, Keratosa, Polymastiida, Verongimorpha, Mediterranean fauna)
- Cárdenas, Paco: Porifera (Tetractinellida)
- Díaz, Maria-Cristina: Thematic editor: Porifera (Caribbean fauna)
- Dohrmann, Martin: Porifera (Hexactinellida)
- Downey, Rachel: Porifera (Antarctic)
- Goodwin, Claire: Porifera (Southern Ocean and parts of the Canadian Arctic)
- Hajdu, Eduardo: Porifera (Biemnida, Desmacellida, Poecilosclerida, South American fauna)
- Hooper, John N.A.: Porifera (Poecilosclerida, Australian fauna)
- Kelly, Michelle: Thematic editor: Porifera (New Zealand fauna)
- Klautau, Michelle: Porifera (Calcarea)
- Lim, Swee Cheng: Porifera (Indo-Pacific)
- Manconi, Renata: Porifera (Spongillida, freshwater sponges)
- Morrow, Christine: Porifera (Heteroscleromorpha, North Atlantic fauna)
- Pinheiro, Ulisses: Porifera (Spongillida)
- Pisera, Andrzej B.: Porifera (desma-bearing and coralline sponges)
- Ríos, Pilar: Porifera (Poecilosclerida & thematic editor for Iberian and Northwest African regions)
- Rützler, Klaus: Porifera (Spirophorina)
- Schönberg, Christine: Porifera (Clionaida, Siphonodictyon, Thoosidae)
- Turner, Thomas: Thematic editor: Porifera (NE Pacific)
- Vacelet, Jean: Porifera (Cladorhizidae, carnivorous sponges)
- van Soest, Rob W.M.: Porifera (Previous chief editor 2004/2021)
- Xavier, Joana: Porifera (Atlantic)
Currently (2023), there are 9,602 valid species (marine + non-marine) in the database (among almost 20,000 taxon names).
Acceptance is an editorial decision, but we acknowledge such decisions need to be re-examined frequently in the light of new information. If you disagree with senior synonymy decisions or genus assignments, please let us have your - argumented - corrected assignment. More info.
Who is who in sponge science
This global address list reflects information collated through annual surveys posted on mailing lists (PoriferaList, CoraList and Skolithos) and by contacting some people directly. The information was collected and made available by Christine Schönberg.
Sponge conference materials
This is a record of abstracts, proceedings and other materials from sponge meetings and symposia.
CitationUsage of data from the World Porifera Database in scientific publications should be acknowledged by citing as follows:
If the data from the World Porifera Database constitute a substantial proportion of the records used in analyses, the chief editor(s) of the database should be contacted. There may be additional data which may prove valuable to such analyses.
- de Voogd, N.J.; Alvarez, B.; Boury-Esnault, N.; Cárdenas, P.; Díaz, M.-C.; Dohrmann, M.; Downey, R.; Goodwin, C.; Hajdu, E.; Hooper, J.N.A.; Kelly, M.; Klautau, M.; Lim, S.C.; Manconi, R.; Morrow, C.; Pinheiro, U.; Pisera, A.B.; Ríos, P.; Rützler, K.; Schönberg, C.; Turner, T.; Vacelet, J.; van Soest, R.W.M.; Xavier, J. (2023). World Porifera Database. Accessed at https://www.marinespecies.org/porifera on 2023-09-28. doi:10.14284/359
Individual pages are individually authored and dated. These can be cited separately: the proper citation is provided at the bottom of each page.