Introduction to WoRCS
The World Register of marine Cave Species (WoRCS) aims to create a comprehensive taxonomic
and ecological database of species known from marine and anchialine cave environments worldwide.
The assembled data will form a Thematic Species Database (TSD) of WoRMS. The cave-related information
will be managed by the WoRCS thematic editors in collaboration with the taxonomic editors of WoRMS,
who manage the taxonomic content. The creation of this database will allow for an accurate assessment
of the diversity and distribution of such faunas, and will provide information vital for evidence-based
[Add] [Older news... ]
WoRCS in the 22nd International Congress of Zoology in Okinawa, Japan November 15 - 19, 2016
Added on: 2016-11-29 17:17:57 by Martínez García, AlejandroThe WoRCS initiative was presented to the 22nd International Congress of Zoology in Onna Village, Okinawa, Japan (15-19 November 2016) ...
WoRCS in the White Sea Biological Station (WSBS), Russia
Added on: 2016-10-04 00:15:17 by Martínez García, AlejandroLast week (23 September 2016), the WoRCS initiative was presented at the White Sea Biological Station by Alejandro Martínez. ...
WoRCS Project Report published in the open access journal Research Ideas and Outcomes (RIO)
Added on: 2016-09-14 00:58:53 by Gerovasileiou, VasilisThe report of the first Editor Workshop of the WoRCS initiative (22-25 February 2016, Oostende, Belgium), co-authored by the WoRCS Editor Group and the WoRMS Data Management Team, was published today in the open access journal Research Ideas and Outcomes (RIO). ...
WoRCS Editorial Team
Please contact the most relevant editor according to the roles listed below.
Editor Group (* founding editors)
- Álvarez Noguera, Fernando: Arthropoda (* Anchialine caves, Central America, South America)
- Bailly, Nicolas: Chaetognatha, Pisces (* data management, Arctic, Southern Ocean)
- Becking, Leontine E.: Porifera (Anchialine lakes and pools, Indo-Pacific Islands)
- Boxshall, Geoff: Crustacea (* Anchialine caves)
- Gerovasileiou, Vasilis: Biota (* Coordinator/networking, Marine caves, Mediterranean Sea, Sessile Fauna)
- Humphreys, William F.: Animalia (* Anchialine caves, Australasia)
- Iliffe, Thomas M.: Crustacea (* Marine caves, Anchialine caves, North America, Caribbean Sea, Bahamas, Bermuda)
- Jaume, Damià: Crustacea, Thermosbaenacea (* Anchialine caves, Mediterranean Sea)
- Martínez García, Alejandro: Biota (* Marine caves, Anchialine caves, Atlantic Oceanic Islands, Africa, Cuba, Meiobenthic groups)
- Muricy, Guilherme: Porifera (marine caves, South America)
- van Hengstum, Peter J.: Amoebozoa, Foraminifera (marine & anchialine caves, North America)
- Yamasaki, Hiroshi: Cephalorhyncha (Marine caves, Asia, Meiobenthic groups)
Gerovasileiou, V.; Martínez, A.; Álvarez, F.; Boxshall, G.; Humphreys, W.F.; Jaume, D.; Becking, L.E.; Muricy, G.; van Hengstum, P.J.; Yamasaki, H.; Bailly, N.; Iliffe, T.M. (2017). World Register of Marine Cave Species (WoRCS). Accessed at http://www.marinespecies.org/worcs on 2017-12-12
Editor Group institutions
Sponsors, Donors and Supporters