Marine Species of the British Isles and Adjacent Seas (MSBIAS)
Many applications require a list of species that are likely to be found in the marine waters around the British Isles and adjacent seas. This list can be used for this purpose and furthermore if used widely will improve the ability to exchange species data between applications. The marine area covered by this list is shown below. The boundaries given in the map are recognized not to represent true boundaries of species distributions however does allow operational use of a taxon list.
To download the full list, carry out a search and then click ‘download results’ in the results window.
This list is a subset of taxa registered in the World Register of Marine Species (WoRMS) that was identified through data holdings of the applications Marine Recorder and Unicorn and collated under the project ‘Pan-European Species directories Infrastructure (PESI)’
The taxonomic list used in Marine Recorder was derived from the following: Howson, C.M. & Picton, B.E.(eds) 1997. The species directory of the marine fauna and flora of the British Isles and surrounding seas. Ulster Museum and The Marine Conservation Society, Belfast and Ross-on-Wye. Which itself was the result of a comprehensive literature review.
Feedback and Updates
Please contact the most appropriate of the below to
- add a new species to MSBIAS by completing the template downloaded here.
- tag species that already exist in WoRMS as being found in this study area
- If you use Marine Recorder please contact JNCC at
- If you use UNICORN please contact Thomson Ecology at
- If you are a NERC centre or collaborative centre please contact The British Oceanographic Data Centre -
- If you are working in coordination with The Marine Biological Association please contact
- The National Marine Biological Analytical Quality Control Scheme –
- For local record centres and the Natural History Museum please contact the most appropriate person available.
Secretarial support for the maintenance of this list is provided by the Marine Data and Information Network. For further information contact
The UK Marine Environmental Data and Information Network (2011). The Marine Species of the British Isles and Adjacent Seas (MSBIAS): a checklist of species derived from the UNICORN and Marine Recorder applications. Available online at http://www.marinespecies.org/msbias/. Consulted on 2014-12-26.
The Marine Environmental Data and Information Network maintains this Register, but is aware that it may be incomplete and may contain errors. MEDIN cannot be held responsible for any errors or misuse of the data contained in this Register.