The wildcard characters that can be used to search the Scleractinia database through this web interface are those of ANSI SQL:
- '%': replaces zero or more characters
- '_': replaces a single character
- '[avz]': replaces any of the characters 'a', 'v' or 'z'
- '[a-f]': replaces any character 'a', 'b', ... 'f'
- '[^a]: replaces any character except for 'a'
- '[^a-f]: replaces any character except for 'a', 'b', ... 'f'
- To use a wildcard character as a literal, enclose it in square brackets: [%] searches for the percentage sign
|Search string||Results in|
|a%||All entries in the database that start with an 'a'|
|%ech%||All entries with 'ech' somewhere in the name, like 'Diastylis echinata', 'Technitella', 'Echinobothrium', ...|
|_[bd]%||All entries with either a 'b' or a 'd' as the second charater in their name, like 'Abarenicola' or 'Idunella'|
|[d-f]%||All entries with a name starting with 'd', 'e' or 'f', from 'Dacrydium' to 'Fusarium culmorum'|
|%[_]%||All entries containing an underscore|
|%[%]||All entries ending on a percentage sign|