Integrated Marine Information System (IMIS)
Persons | Institutes | Publications | Projects | Datasets
|Watling, L. (2001). Cumacea, in: Costello, M.J. et al. (Ed.) (2001). European register of marine species: a check-list of the marine species in Europe and a bibliography of guides to their identification. Collection Patrimoines Naturels, 50: pp. 308-310|
|In: Costello, M.J. et al. (Ed.) (2001). European register of marine species: a check-list of the marine species in Europe and a bibliography of guides to their identification. Collection Patrimoines Naturels, 50. Muséum national d'Histoire naturelle: Paris. ISBN 2-85653-538-0. 463 pp., more|
|In: Collection Patrimoines Naturels. ISSN 1158-422X, more|
The list follows the classification of Băcescu (1988, 1992), for the most part, with modifications from Watling (1991a, 1991b) for the Leuconidae and Nannastacidae, respectively. Besides the distributional data in Băcescu (1988, 1992), lists from Brattegard & Holthe (1997) and Gerken & Watling (1999) were used. Most of the literature describing the European Atlantic species is listed in Gerken & Watling (1999).
The list includes species from the shallow seas, shelves, and upper slopes to about 600 m depth from Novaya Zemlya in the Arctic, Greenland in the northwest, south to western Africa and east to the Black Sea. Many of the species listed have distributions beyond this area, but in keeping with the nature of this list, those extra-limital distributions are not given here. Depths are given in the most general terms (littoral, shelf, bathyal, and abyss) and approximately conform to commonly accepted definitions. Although the European Seas are among the best to be studied for cumaceans, there are still many new species to be described, especially from the outer shelf and upper slope habitats. Future lists will record many of these new species as well as those from the abyssal plains.
Dr. T. Brattegard is thanked for his careful checking of an earlier version of this list.
- Băcescu, M. 1988. Cumacea I (Fam. Archaeocumatidae, Lampropidae, Bodotriidae, Leuconidae). Crustaceorum Catalogus Pars 7:1-173.
- Băcescu, M. 1992. Cumacea II (Fam. Nannastacidae, Diastylidae, Pseudocumatidae, Gynodiastylidae and Ceratocumatidae). Crustaceorum Catalogus Pars 8: 175-468.
- Brattegard, T. & Holthe, T. (eds). 1997. Distribution of marine, benthic macro-organisms in Norway. A tabulated catalogue. Preliminary edition. - Research Report for DN 1997-1. Directorate for Nature Management. 409 pp. ISBN 82-7072-251-0.
- Gerken, S. & L. Watling. 1999. Cumacea (Crustacea) of the Faroe Island region. Fróðskaparrit 47: 199-227.
- Watling, L. 1991a. Revision of the Cumacean Family Leuconidae. Journal of Crustacean Biology 11:569-582.
- Watling, L. 1991b. Revision and rediagnosis of some Nannastacidae (Crustacea, Cumacea). Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington 104:751-757.