IOC-UNESCO Taxonomic Reference List of Harmful Micro Algae
- a product of the IOC Harmful Algal Bloom Programme and the World Register of Marine Species.
Problems pertaining to harmful microalgae are being worked on and discussed by many categories of researchers: ecologists, taxonomists, toxicologists, by persons involved in monitoring the environments for harmful effect of toxic algae, by politicians, journalists, etc. It is a source of confusion that the scientific ('Latin') names of the algae sometimes change when the organisms become available for more detailed studies due to improved methodology or after establishment of the organisms in pure cultures, and such changes may give rise to misunderstandings.
This site has the following aims:
- to provide a catalogue of the world's harmful micro algal species
- to promote stability in harmful micro algal nomenclature
- to act as a tool for higher taxonomic revisions and regional monographs
- to provide a base link for other online databases that use harmful micro algal nomenclature
To provide sufficient expert knowledge for maintaining the list, we have formed an editorial committee to whom the queries on particular taxa should be addressed.
The List contains both species producing toxins and species that cause harm due to biomass, mucus, morphology (spines etc). The names and data on all toxic species appear as WoRMS checked names (see www.marinespecies.org) whereas names of harmful species, which potentially can be any plankton species, are not necessarily checked but are always valid names.
The Committee hopes to extend the list during the coming years, to include additional information, including illustrations.
History of the list
At the Fourth Session of the IOC Intergovernmental Panel on Harmful Algal Blooms, Vigo, Spain, 30 June-2 July 1997, it was decided to establish a Task Team on Algal Taxonomy with the aim of providing an agreed reference list of harmful algal species, including correct citation of the author(s), date of valid publication, and a list of synonyms.
During the HAB 2000 Conference in Hobart, Tasmania, February 2000, the Committee met and discussed the contents and the format of the list. Following additional discussions over the e-mail, it was decided to prepare all entries in the list as follows:
- Correct name according to the International Botanical Code of Nomenclature, followed by author(s) and year it was given its present name
- Basionym (the first name applied to the species, including year)
- Reference to the article in which the species was first described
- Reference to the article in which the species was given its present name
- Type locality
- Synonyms, including year
- Main harmful effects
- Up to (usually) 3 references with information on toxicity, toxins or toxic effects
- Notes (if applicable)
The predecessor and basis for this list is the on-line version of the IOC Taxonomic Reference list of Toxic Plankton Algae, which was provided in cooperation with and hosted by the Department of Biology, University of Copenhagen and was completed in early 2002. The cyanobacteria (blue-green algae) are presently being added.
Citation and use of the data
from this website, if used in a publication, should be cited as follows:
- Moestrup, Ø.; Akselmann, R.; Fraga, S.; Hansen, G.; Hoppenrath, M.; Iwataki, M.; Komárek, J.; Larsen, J.; Lundholm, N.; Zingone, A. (Eds) (2009 onwards). IOC-UNESCO Taxonomic Reference List of Harmful Micro Algae. Accessed at http://www.marinespecies.org/hab on 2016-08-25
By use of data from this website, the visitor agrees to the following:
- If any data constitutes a substantial proportion of the records used in secondary analyses (i.e. more than 25% of the data are derived from this source, or the data are essential to arrive at the conclusion of the analysis), the editors of the database should be contacted. Contacting us directly may be useful in case additional data may strengthen the analysis or features of the data are important to consider but may not have been apparent from the metadata.
IOC Taxonomic Reference List of Harmful Micro Algae Editorial Board:
- Moestrup, Øjvind: Chair Thematic editor: Haptophyta, Dictyochophyceae, Raphidophyceae.
- Akselman Cardella, Rut: Thematic editor: Gonyaulacales, Thematic editor: Peridiniales
- Fraga, Santiago: Thematic editor: Alexandrium, Thematic editor: Pyrodinium
- Hansen, Gert: Thematic editor: Gymnodiniales
- Hoppenrath, Mona: Thematic editor: Prorocentrales
- Iwataki, Mitsunori: Thematic editor: Dinophyta
- Komárek, Jiří: Thematic editor: Cyanobacteria
- Larsen, Jacob: Thematic editor: Dinophysiales, Thematic editor: Prorocentrales, Thematic editor: Raphidophyceae
- Lundholm, Nina: Thematic editor: Bacillariophyceae
- Zingone, Adriana: Thematic editor: Dinophysiales
Photographs of the banner by Jacob Larsen and Nina Lundholm.
Suggestions for changes and additions to the list should be forwarded to Øjvind Moestrup, chairman of the editorial board. He will evaluate the suggested changes, if needed after consultation with members of the editorial board.